Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Deck the Halls

I was a little late getting all of the holiday decorating done this year since I was out of town for the first week of December. I'm usually a day after Thanksgiving decorator so I was feeling really behind. We will be leaving for the holiday so I decided to keep the decorating fairly simple.


Love our tall skinny tree that fits perfectly in that little corner. I decided to do a silver tree this year instead of our normal hodgepodge of ornaments. I'm liking the streamlined look. Like the tree topper?...ha ha! I can't for the life of me get it to stay up straight. I've tried everything. I give up. It's whimsical right?? ha!




But my sappy self couldn't resist putting up the those sentimental ornaments...the ones that bring back a flood of memories. SO..I hung them in the back. There was no way they were staying in the box,

Like this one...



I'll never forget when Jim gave me that ornament on our first Christmas together. Before we were engaged or married. He handed it to me sweaty palmed and all and awaited my reaction. And it was one of those defining moments in our relationship...one of the many little moments that told me he was the one. So.. beautifully.. thoughtful. I remember calling my mom and going..He gave me an ornament and it's ENGRAVED!!!

And speaking of ornaments..I completely fell in love with Pottery Barn's ornaments this year. I stood at the ornament bin closely inspecting my favorites and trying to figure out if there was any way I could make them instead of buy them. And well..I caved and bought a few. I'll definitely be going back after Christmas to get some more.





why, hello there!



We don't actually have a mantel so I treat the shelf on our entertainment center as a mantel of sorts. I was inspired by a display at West Elm which had moss, mercury glass and birds. This was my version.





And although we will not be hosting Christmas dinner or any type of big holiday gathering this year I still decided I should set the table. Why, not? I love a pretty table. (actually did this one night when I had insomnia one night)



My mom and I made these garland signs when I was visiting earlier in the month. All you need are book pages, some type of lettering and scrapbook paper. Cut the book pages into long strips, accordion fold them and then glue them together to make a circle. Hint..you will need a LOT of glue. They wouldn't hold in the circle shape without quite a bit of glue.






When I was young my mom would always set up a beautiful holiday village each Christmas. Something my grandma also did. I remember staring at the twinkly houses and imagining that I lived in that magical little village. I loved the red house in particular and would stare at the cute little house with the green wreath and decided which room each caroler lived in. I think I actually believed that the little ceramic carolers came alive when I went to sleep and really lived in these miniature houses. Last year my mom gave me that little red house. And I love it. It sits on my desk and I can't help but smile when I look at it. Man.the holidays make me sappy.
Poor little snowman..probably from the many years I admired this little house.

And speaking of sappy...we will be having a white Christmas this year in Colorado and I can hardly contain my excitement!!! There will be nubby sweaters, hats and mittens and cozy days spent baking, watching moves and basking in the glory of doing absolutely nothing. We will spend time with both families and I just know it will be oh so magical. Oh..I can't wait.

Have a great rest of the week!
xo






0 comments:


About This Blog

I'm a wife, daughter, sister and auntie. I'm a lover of life and all things good in this world. I adore sunshine, green tea and my husband's smile. I believe that you can create your own happiness and this is the little space where I choose to document mine. Hope you enjoy a peek into my life in the fun lane and thank you so very much for reading.

Followers


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP