Wednesday, January 12, 2011

With your own two hands

I curled up on the couch last night and watched along with millions of other Americans as President Obama's voice came from the television. I really think he did a remarkable job honoring those who were lost in this senseless tragedy and his words really struck a chord with me.


"So sudden loss causes us to look backward - but it also forces us to look forward, to reflect on the present and the future, on the manner in which we live our lives and nurture our relationships with those who are still with us. We may ask ourselves if we've shown enough kindness and generosity and compassion to the people in our lives. Perhaps we question whether we are doing right by our children, or our community, and whether our priorities are in order. We recognize our own mortality, and are reminded that in the fleeting time we have on this earth, what matters is not wealth, or status, or power, or fame - but rather, how well we have loved, and what small part we have played in bettering the lives of others."

President Obama

It's so easy to forget just how fragile life is and we can ALL do better. Be better lovers, better friends, better listeners. I question myself often. Am I doing all I can in the community? Am I being a good enough friend? Am I remembering to do thoughtful little things for the hubby? Am I remembering to show love instead of simply saying I love you? I think this type of questioning is human nature. We all do it. And thank goodness we do... because I also think that reflection is the key to betterment.

I recently took over a second grade class while the permanent teacher is on maternity leave. As the students enter the classroom each morning this beautiful song by Ben Harper plays throughout the school. It echoes through the hallways and is streamed into the classrooms. As the kids hang up their backpacks, wipe sleep from their eyes, sharpen their pencils and settle into the day they sing along. It is the highlight of my morning. And I secretly say a little prayer during this time..I pray that these words will ring true in their lives. I pray that they will indeed be the ones to "change the world, to make it a better place."

Ben Harper sings with Jack Johnson and the words are powerful and oh so beautiful. I highly recommend clicking here to listen to it but I'll leave you with the lyrics as well.

With my own two hands

Now I can change the world
With my own two hands
Make it a better place
With my own two hands
Make it a kinder place

With my own two hands
With my own, with my own two hands

I can make peace on earth
With my own two hands
I can clean up the earth
With my own two hands
I can reach out to you

With my own two hands
With my own, with my own two hands

I'm gonna make it a brighter place
With my own two hands
I'm gonna make it a safer place
With my own two hands
I'm gonna help the human race

With my own two hands
With my own, with my own two hands

I can hold you
With my own two hands
And I can comfort you
With my own two hands

But you got to use
Use your own two hands
Use your own, use your own two hands

With our own, with our own two hands
With my own, with my own two hands



4 comments:

Toni Olivieri-Barton January 13, 2011 at 6:28 AM  

Amazing writing on your part and I love the song!

Janet Olivieri Caschetta January 14, 2011 at 10:34 AM  

Beautiful Erin, thank you for so eloquently saying what many are feeling

Peggy January 14, 2011 at 2:09 PM  

Love this, Erin! What wonderful way for the children to start their day. I'm wondering if you're going to miss having your own little ones in your own classroom after these two months. I know for a fact the children will miss you!
You are such an amzaing gift!
xxoo

Erin January 15, 2011 at 8:09 AM  

Thanks so much for reading and for your sweet words. Mom..I am definitely going to miss these kids. They are an amazing bunch!


About This Blog

I'm a wife, daughter, sister and auntie. I'm a lover of life and all things good in this world. I adore sunshine, green tea and my husband's smile. I believe that you can create your own happiness and this is the little space where I choose to document mine. Hope you enjoy a peek into my life in the fun lane and thank you so very much for reading.

Followers


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP