Friday, February 11, 2011

Thirty.

I woke up to my alarm sounding this morning..well at midnight to be exact. Sat up in bed, took a deep breath and drank in the silence of the cool, dark room. Got lost in my thoughts for a moment and began thinking of how we are going to make homemade Valentine's today in the classroom..and oh how I can't wait to watch the kids get lost in their creativity. Then I thought about how I need to call the dog groomer, do laundry and as my mind was spinning with to do's I remembered why I had set my alarm to sound at midnight. I'm thirty today, I thought. Holy shit, I'm thirty!!!


So this whole wake up at midnight thing on the morning of my birthday, so not normal birthday day practice..but after much reflection and a whirlwind of emotions as this milestone has been fast approaching I have arrived at a really good place. It's a cozy and exciting place. Yes, I am thirty..but better yet, I am happily thirty. I've filed away the pressing thoughts of..have I accomplished all I thought I would in my 20's? Worked through the preconceived notion of what thirty should look like and accepted the fact that eye cream will now be a part of my nightly ritual. I wanted to soak in the moment it was official. Try it on for size. And so far...30 fits like a glove.



I am embracing this new chapter. Snuggling up to it as thought it's a cashmere blanket, cherishing it like a family heirloom. Because, as one of my 2nd graders reminded me the other day,..you get one body and one life. (why are kids so smart?) And well, I get one chapter entitled thirty in the sweet novel of life. And oh.. it will be an amazing chapter. Not without disappointments and sadness..this I know..but it's the hard times that really make us drink in the triumphs and really...without sadness and disappointments would we really appreciate those unbelievable, high on life moments? The moments when you think..this is it..right here...this is why I live.

My 20's taught me oh so much. And when I think of how I've changed from twenty until now..it's incredible. It's vast. I have learned so much about myself and life..and what's important and what's simply not. And so..a little thank you note..to my sweet 20's.

Dear 20's,

Thank you for teaching me....

~that if you are confident then you are beautiful
~that a warm bath and a glass of wine can cure just about anything
~that I am much more capable than I often realize
~ that true love is worth the wait..and just when you're about to give up on it and go get a bunch of cats..there it appears..sitting right next to you in seat 19 A.
~that family is everything
~that no life is worth living without true girlfriends. I am so inspired by the amazing women in my life each and everyday.
~that all along...there was a domestic one dwelling inside of me..just waiting for the right time to make an appearance.
~that goat cheese is amazing
~that sweating the small stuff is a waste of time and energy
~that I love children..and that they all really only want one thing..to feel loved.
~that dancing fuels my soul
~that I love a good Pinot Noir
~that I prefer to surround myself with positive people
~that I like to bake
~that I adore sunshine
~that marriage is better than I imagined it to be
~that in-laws are amazing and also worth the wait
~that I love dangly earrings
~that I have an addiction to jackets and coats
~that giving back is unbelievably fulfilling
~that I enjoy creating
~that I love documenting my life

Goodbye 20's. I would say you will be missed but you know what..it's not true. 30 feels good. 30 feels comfortable. I'm ready for the chapter to begin. Hello 30. So very nice to meet you.









2 comments:

Peggy February 11, 2011 at 11:28 AM  

I wish I could've been wise enouph to celebrate turning 30, but at the time I wasn't aware of what an amazing chapter I was entering. You are now in the prime of your life, I know you will enjoy every minute of it!

PK February 14, 2011 at 9:15 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.

About This Blog

I'm a wife, daughter, sister and auntie. I'm a lover of life and all things good in this world. I adore sunshine, green tea and my husband's smile. I believe that you can create your own happiness and this is the little space where I choose to document mine. Hope you enjoy a peek into my life in the fun lane and thank you so very much for reading.

Followers


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP